Island Weigh 95, Inc., PEI Dockside Monitoring company, is always looking for individuals to work as Dockside Observers at various docks across PEI.
Each year we offer a free one-week in-classroom training course for individuals who are interested in becoming a trained Dockside Observer. The course is usually offered at 1-2 locations on a yearly basis.
In addition, on-the-job training will be provided by a trained Dockside Observer to help new hires become familiar with the species and the paper work required.
Job Duties for Dockside Observers
Fish landings are recorded for Department of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO) for any fishery that requires Dockside Monitoring services, such as snow crab, toad crab, rock crab, groundfish, herring, mackerel and bluefin tuna to name a few.
Interested candidates must have:
- Valid driver’s license
- Reliable vehicle
- Proof of grade 12 or equivalent
- Obtain a NAME BASED CRIMINAL RECORD CHECK through your local RCMP office (for this you will need to bring 2 pieces of ID with you, 1 of which much be photo ID). You must bring the results of this check to the course.
- Physical condition, capable to perform monitoring duties
- not hold a fisher’s registration card (deckhand) in the same calendar year that they are designated as a Dockside Observer;
- not be an owner, operator, manager or an employee of an enterprise that catches, cultures, processes or transports fish;
- not purchase fish for the purpose of resale.
If you fall under one of the three categories mentioned above, please do not apply for Dockside Observer job.
We are looking for individuals who will be available for on-call work from Victoria to East Point from July/August to late fall, and from Victoria to North Cape from May/June to late fall. Because this work is sporadic and requires staff to be on-call, we find that individuals whom are semi-retired or retired are the right fit for this part-time seasonal job.
We may need individuals for specific times throughout the season as well. For example; We may need individuals to be available on Wednesdays and Thursdays for July – Sept.
We need employees who are flexible enough to work casual hours at any time during the busy season. Competitive wages plus mileage.
For more information, or if you think this is a right fit for you and would like to have your name put on our upcoming course list, please contact us by emailing your resume to email@example.com and please write “Dockside Observer” in subject line.